When paying Council Tax, different rules apply depending on the mix of students and other adults living in a property.

Properties occupied only by full-time students

Properties only occupied by full-time students are exempt from Council Tax. All residents must confirm their student status to us for this exemption to be applied to your Council Tax account.

Properties with one full-time student and one other adult

If you are a student living with one non-student, we can reduce your Council Tax bill by 25%.

Properties with one or more full-time students and two or more other adults

If you are a student living with two or more non-students, there is no Council Tax reduction. The non-students will be named on the Council Tax bill.

Properties exempt from Council Tax

  • houses and flats where only full-time students live
  • halls of residence and off-campus properties owned or rented by the university or college for their students
  • properties where the foreign spouse or dependent of a student lives, as long as their visa prevents them from working or claiming benefits

Contact the Council Tax Team

Please include your council tax account reference number when contacting us by letter or email. If you do not have an account reference number, please include your full address

Address: Oxford City Council
PO Box 10

Telephone: 01865 249811