Energy efficiency in private rented housing

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) in privately rented homes

To ensure all Oxford private rented properties meet a minimum energy standard of E in their Energy Performance Certificates, we have started enforcing the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards.

This uses powers from The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2019. 

Where these don’t apply, but the property is low performing for energy efficiency, we will often use Housing Act 2004 powers to ensure landlords address deficiencies to improve their properties.

Under the Energy Act 2016 landlords must:

  • Provide a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) - containing information about the property’s energy use and costs and how to reduce these - to tenants whenever they rent their properties out. A copy of the EPC certificate must be provided by landlords to all assured shorthold tenants at the property whose tenancies began on or after 1 October 2015 (required under the Deregulation Act 2015). Visit the GOV.UK website for more information on EPCs and whether a property needs one or not, or to access an existing EPC/ find an EPC assessor, visit the EPC Register website.


  • Ensure all rented homes have at least an E rating on the EPC:
    • From 1 April 2019 - all tenancies starting new or renewing after this date MUST have at least an E-rating on the property's EPC by law or have spent a minimum of £3,500 on trying to achieve an E rating. 
    • From 1 April 2020 - all other privately rented homes (i.e. those on continued leases) MUST have at least an E-rating on the EPC to be lawfully let out.

It is the landlord’s responsibility to ensure they meet these requirements and have an EPC rated E+ as evidence that their property is legal to rent out (unless the property is exempt, see below). Guidance on how the £3500 cost cap applies.

Information on potential energy efficiency measures to meet the requirement can be found on the GOV.UK website

Cosy Homes Oxfordshire can also help landlords to improve their homes by surveying, advising and arranging installations as required.

Further information on minimum energy efficiency standards in privately rented dwellings is available from the Resident Landlords Association.