Report tenancy problems in your private rented property

If tenants are having problems with their landlord, we advise them to contact their landlord in the first instance but to keep a note of the details and the date on which the matter was raised. 

If you do not get an appropriate response our Tenancy Relations Officer can be asked to investigate and to take enforcement action if that is found to be necessary.

Where we judge that informal action is appropriate that will be our first response, but formal action (in the form of statutory notices and prosecution) is sometimes necessary and is used.

Our Tenancy Relations Officer cannot deal with cases involving our own council housing. These should be raised with a Tenancy Management Officer.

Independent housing advice service

We have set up an independent housing advice service in Oxford provided by Shelter.


Visit the Shelter website

Telephone Service

Call Shelter's housing advice helpline on 0808 800 4444:

  • Monday to Friday, 8am-8pm or Saturdays and Sundays, 8am-5pm.
  • Calls are free from UK landlines and main mobile networks

Drop-in Service

Go to one of Shelter's weekly advice sessions in Cowley or Oxford city centre:

  • Tuesdays, 9am-5pm, Templars Square Customer Service Centre, 2-3 Bank Court, Templars Square, Cowley, OX4 3XH
  • Thursdays, 9am-5pm, St Aldate's Customer Service Centre, St Aldate's Chambers, 109 St Aldate's, Oxford, OX1 1DS

Remember that we continue to provide our own drop-in housing options service at St Aldate's Chambers on weekdays during office opening hours.