If your privately rented property needs repairs, the first step is to contact your landlord or the agent in charge of maintenance. Most landlords or agents respond promptly and address the necessary repairs.

We recommend writing to your landlord about any disrepair issues. Your landlord has a duty to respond within 14 days and explain what their plans are to address the repairs or explain why they will not complete repairs.

If your landlord or agent doesn't respond or fails to make the repairs after you've reported them or you are unhappy with their response, please contact us. If we don't answer your call, leave a message with the disrepair details, your name, and contact number. One of our officers will return your call.

For us to investigate, we require:

  • details about the disrepair
  • your contact information
  • your landlord's details
  • any other relevant information

Our primary responsibility is to assess disrepair in privately rented properties. We conduct these assessments under the Housing Act 2004, using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.

Upon receiving a complaint, it will be assigned to one of our officers. They will get in touch with you within 5 working days to discuss the issue and, if necessary, arrange an inspection. If we inspect and find a Category One hazard then we will normally request repairs.

Please note, this inspection does not affect or influence any applications for re-housing with the Council.

Contact the Private Sector Safety Team

Address: Town Hall
St Aldate's

Telephone: 01865 252658

Rate this page