Apply for building regulations approval

You must check if you need approval before you construct or change buildings in certain ways. You might also need building regulations approval for many alteration projects.

You can find out more on our Find out if you need building regulations approval pages.

Choose a type of application

You must decide on the type of application for your planned build, extension or alteration work.

Full plans

This is the most thorough option. You can expect a decision within 5 weeks, or 2 months with your consent.

You'll get a completion certificate within 8 weeks of completion of the building work as long as it complies. 

Application form and guidance

Application fees

Building notice

This type of application is only for smaller projects. You can start work 2 days after your notice has been submitted. You don't get formal approval like you do with full plans.

Application form and guidance

Application fees


You can apply for 'regularisation' - retrospective approval for work already carried out without consent

Application form

Application fees