How to apply
To check if you need planning permission visit our Find out if you need planning permission page.
To apply for permission online, we encourage you to use the Planning Portal. The Planning Portal is the quickest and easiest way to submit and pay for planning applications. The Planning Portal will guide you through the process; including the fees and the payment methods.
The Planning Portal charges a fee for submission of planning applications through its service across the UK. This is a Planning Portal service fee, and proceeds are not passed to the Council.
If you are unable to apply online, we accept paper applications. The forms can be downloaded from the Planning Portal or can be obtained from Customer Services (contact details below). Please note, there are different types of forms for different types of development. If you are unsure which form you need, then please ask our Customer Service Officers. You can apply directly to us by emailing your completed application to [email protected].
What documents do I need?
In addition to a standardised set of national required documents, each local planning authority has a local list of requirements. Please read both of these requirements carefully to ensure you provide all the correct documentation, otherwise it may delay the validation of your application.
Planning application costs
Most planning applications require a fee to be paid when they are submitted.
If you submit via the Planning Portal, you will be asked to make payment with your application. If you submit to us directly, or if you need to make a further payment, please use one of methods below to pay. Please note that we are no longer accepting payments via cheque.
Pay by phone and card
Pay by debit/credit card by calling us on (01865) 529113. Have your payment card and information ready when using this service.
Pay by BACS
Paying by BACS please ensure you quote the reference number when you send your payment.
Transfer funds to the following account.
Bank Sort Code: 20-71-29
Name of Bank: Barclays Bank PLC (Reading)
Name of Account: Oxford City Council
Bank Account Number: 30750662
Planning Payments Reference: This reference will be your application reference which is in the following format: YY/00000/REF (FUL, PAC, NMA, CAT etc).
Overseas and (Non UK) bank accounts details
- Our IBAN is GB73 BARC 2071 2930 7506 62
- Our bank's SWIFT code is BARCGB22
Please send an email confirmation of your payment to [email protected] with a brief note explaining the amount paid and the details of your application (remittance advice).
NB: Without a reference, we will not be able to allocate your payment and you may be asked to pay again or provide proof that the payment has been made.
- The Validation Strategy - provides tips and guidance on how to ensure applications meet the required standards.
- The Planning Application Drawing Standards - assists you in providing drawings which meet the required standards.
- Archaeology in Oxford - details of planning requirements in terms of heritage assets and setting.
- Biodiversity - impacts and opportunities to ensure biodiversity enhancement.
- Conservation & heritage - information on listed buildings, conservation areas, historic buildings and Oxford view cones.
- Flooding - provides information regarding flood risk assessments and sustainable drainage guidance.
- Land contamination - advice on how to make an environmental search enquiry.
- Trees - information regarding trees, woodlands and hedges.
- Oxford Design Review Panel - information regarding Design review services for larger and major development plans.
Customer Services Applications Team
Oxford City Council,
St Aldate's Chambers,
109 St Aldate's,
Oxford, OX1 1DS
Telephone: 01865 529113
Email: [email protected]