Planning permission is often required for developments, which includes undertaking building works or changing the use of land or existing buildings. 

Before you make improvements or changes to a property, it is important to first find out if you need planning permission. Have a look at the Interactive House on the Planning Portal.

If you start building works or change the use of your premises without permission, you could be subject to planning enforcement action by the Council and you may be required to restore the land to its previous state or use.

Check the requirements

To check whether you require planning permission, we recommend you:

Listed buildings 

A Listed Building is identified and protected for its special architectural or historic interest, its close association with nationally important buildings or events, or its value as part of a group of buildings.

Listed Buildings are graded I, II* and II, but there is no legal difference in their protection:

  • Grade I buildings are those of exceptional interest
  • Grade II* are particularly important buildings of more than special interest
  • Grade II are of special interest, warranting every effort to preserve them

When a building is listed, all of the building itself, anything fixed to it, and also most buildings and structures in its grounds (the curtilage) are part of the listing. The inside as well as the outside of a building is listed.

To find out your listed building grading please visit the Historic England’s website.

Rate this page