Student Council Tax exemption

Exemption rules for students living with non-students

Properties occupied by full-time students only

Properties occupied only by full-time students are exempt from paying Council Tax. You will need to ensure that we receive notification from all residents confirming your student status before this exemption can be applied to your Council Tax account.

Properties occupied by one full-time student and one other adult 

If you are a student and you share your address with someone who is not a full-time student then we can reduce the Council Tax bill by 25%.

Properties occupied by one or more full-time students and two or more other adults

If you are a student and you share your address with two or more joint tenants who are not full-time students then there is no Council Tax reduction and the people who are not students will be named on the Council Tax bill.

Properties exempt from Council Tax

  • Houses and flats where the only people living there are full time students.
  • Halls of residence and off-campus properties owned or rented by the university/college to house their students.
  • Additionally, the foreign spouse or dependant of a student may live in such a property without losing the exemption, as long as the terms of their visa prevent them from taking paid employment or claiming benefits.