We can offer support and advice to tenants who are living in rental properties. 

If you are having problems with your landlord, we advise that you contact them (in writing) in the first instance either by letter, email or text message. 

Make sure you keep a record of the date you raised the problem with your landlord. Keep details of what was said by both of you. 

If you don`t get an appropriate response from your landlord, you can contact us or Shelter for help and/or advice. 

To report disrepair or poor conditions in your rented home 

If you live in a shared house which has three or more unrelated tenants contact the HMO Enforcement Team or ring 01865 252211.

If you live in a family home or you share facilities with just one other tenant visit our Report disrepair in your private rented property page.

To report harassment or threats to evict you

If your landlord harasses or threatens you or tries to make you leave your home without following the correct legal procedure, s/he may be committing a criminal offence. 

If you are a private tenant and you think you are being harassed or think you have been unlawfully evicted or are at risk of it, you can contact the council's Tenancy Relations Officer for help and advice or speak to them on 01865 252267.

Face to face appointments with the Tenancy Relations Officer are held on Wednesday mornings (9am to 12 noon) at Rose Hill Community Centre, Carole`s Way, Oxford, OX4 4HF. Call 01865 252267 or 01865 249811 to make an appointment.

We will aim to resolve most cases informally. However if the matter cannot be resolved informally then we will investigate and take enforcement action if necessary. We are prepared to prosecute landlords in serious cases of harassment and unlawful eviction.

For more detailed information about private tenants’ rights please see our private tenants guide or the Shelter - Private Renting website or the GOV.UK website.  

The Tenancy Relations Officer cannot deal with cases involving our own council housing. These should be raised with a Tenancy Management Officer. 

Rent increases

Your landlord can't just increase your rent whenever they like, or by any amount. They need to follow certain rules if they want you to pay more - these depend on the type of tenancy you have.

If you are unsure about whether or not your rent increase is legal call our Tenancy Relations Officer on 01865 252267 for confidential advice.

There is more information about rent increases on the following websites: 

Advice about other housing issues

Visit our Advice Centres pages to find contact details for organisations that can advise you on tenancy issues.

Alternatively, visit the Shelter website or call Shelter's housing advice helpline on 0808 800 4444.

Housing Options Service: Homelessness 

See our If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless page for more information on getting advice.

Contact the Tenancy Relations Officer

Address: Town Hall
St Aldate's

Telephone: 01865 252267

Rate this page