Becoming a volunteer is a fantastic way to meet new people, develop new skills and gain experience.
If you already work with volunteers we'd love to hear your views on the impact make to the city. Please spend a few minutes completing our survey
Local Volunteer Development Agencies
You can find out about volunteering opportunities in Oxford from the Oxfordshire Community and Voluntary Action (OCVA) website.
Sport and Leisure Volunteering
Many sports clubs, sporting activities and events rely on volunteers to make things happen. Voluntary roles can include helping with refreshments, publicity and organising events.
Some of the benefits of volunteering include:
- Giving you the chance to pass on your skills and experience
- Improving your confidence
- Giving you a chance to explore your interests
- Enhancing your CV
- Giving you the chance to try something new
- Meeting new likeminded people
To find the opportunities that suit you please visit the Volunteering pages on the Oxfordshire Sports Partnership website.
Do you enjoy being outdoors and interacting with people? We are looking for some volunteers to join our team of Ping! Makers for this year’s Oxford Ping! Festival. Ping! in case you haven’t guessed is all about ping pong (table tennis) and we are looking for volunteers to fulfil the following tasks on an ad hoc basis at the outdoor tables across the city parks and green spaces between 22 May and 31 August 2017. We are very interested even if you can only offer an hour a week to keep an eye on your local table.
- Restock tables with bats and balls as needed - please check each table in your patch at least twice a week
- Complete monitoring forms
- Engage with community and promote Ping! on social media
- Report and defects or faults with tables
- Help at Ping! events wherever possible.
- Signpost residents to local tables and events.
- Distribute publicity materials in local areas
- Check out all things Ping! on the Ping! Oxford website
Community Event Volunteer
Our Sport and Physical Activity Team attend a variety of weekend events across the city throughout the summer. We are looking for enthusiastic and energetic people of all ages (18+) to support the team in their goal to spread the word about the varied physical activities on offer across the city, provide fun have a go tasters of some activities and answer questions on what is available in different localities. If you enjoy meeting people and making a difference to the health and wellbeing of Oxford residents then please get in touch to find out more. Volunteers are very welcome to help out for a whole event (usually 6/7 hours) or just for a couple of hours. Some examples of the tasks involved are below:
- Promote sport and physical activity opportunities throughout the event
- Set up and pack down event stand
- Encourage attendees to complete participant registration cards and feedback cards
- Encourage attendees to try out activities available by taking part
- Ensure our ethos and values are maintained
- Encouraging attendees to visit our stand
If you are interested in volunteering with the Sport and Physical Activity Team please contact Margaret Stevens on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteering in parks and open spaces
Do you have some spare time or an interest in the outdoors or wildlife? Why not join one of our gardeners, countryside rangers or other colleagues in your local park or open space?
We have something for everyone, so please call us to discuss what we can offer you.
- Friends of Parks
- flora or fauna surveying
- heath management
- repairs & maintenance
- ditch clearance
- user surveys
Download our Parks and open Spaces Volunteering Leaflet for more information.
Weekly working groups
Our countryside rangers have organised weekly sessions across the city.
- start time 9.30am every thursday;
- equipment and refreshments available;
- please bring lunch and appropriate clothing.
Contact Carl on 07801 625245 for more information.
Oxford Conservation Volunteers
Oxford Conservation Volunteers organises projects each Sunday and some Saturdays in Oxford and the surrounding area. Free minibus pick-ups from Oxford. New volunteers always welcome. Visit the OCV website for full details.
Become a Health Walk leader
Do you enjoy walking in the great outdoors? Share your passion with others and become a health walk leader. For more information please visit our Health Walks page.
Useful information and resources for sports clubs
The Oxfordshire Sports Partnership has developed some useful resources for clubs, coaches and volunteers which can be found on their Resources page of their website.
Contact our Community Centres to find out what volunteering opportunities they may have to offer.
Volunteering at the Museum of Oxford
We rely greatly on the support of volunteers to help with the day-to-day running of the Museum of Oxford.
Visit our Get Involved at the Museum of Oxford page for full details.