Benefit claims for students

If you are a part-time student, you are able to claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction.

Most full-time students are not eligible for Housing Benefit. However, you may be able to get Housing Benefit if you are a student and:

  • a pensioner;
  • a lone parent (including lone foster parent);
  • a couple where both are full time students and you are responsible for a child or young person;
  • qualify for the disability or severe disability premiums;
  • in receipt of income support, income related employment and support allowance or jobseekers allowance (income based);
  • you have a UK grant which includes an allowance for deafness;
  • under 21 but not in higher education and your current course started before you reached the age of 19 (or you count as a child or a qualifying young person for child benefit purposes);
  • the DWP consider that you have been incapable of work for 28 weeks;
  • you are waiting to get back on a course after approved time out because of an illness or caring responsibility has ended.

In some circumstances, benefit can be paid on two homes. This would be where a student is part of a couple, and it is unavoidable to occupy two dwellings. If you consider this may apply, please provide us with as much information about your circumstances as possible.

If you want to claim Housing Benefit fill in a Student Claim Form along with your new claim form

Please note that there are special rules about how your Housing Benefit will be calculated.