Who can claim benefit

Council Tax Reduction

  • You may be entitled if you are on low income and liable to pay council tax
  • A reduction may mean you have less council tax to pay, or in some cases you may not have to pay anything
  • If your partner is a full time student but you are not, you are able to claim

Universal Credit (from 18 October 2017)

All postcodes within the Oxford City Council boundary now fall under the full service of Universal Credit.

If you live in Oxford and want to make a new claim for Housing Benefit you will need to claim universal credit instead to help with your housing costs unless:

  • You and your partner have both reached state pension age.
  • You are receiving support from/on behalf of your landlord as part of your tenancy. Please discuss this with your support worker.
  • You are living in temporary accomodation and making a new claim after 11th April 2018, or have had a change to your rent
  • You have a severe disability premium in your benefit award for Employment and Support Allowance, Housing Benefit, Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance. If you have received this premium and it has ended less than a month ago you can make a new claim for Housing Benefit.
  • You are in receipt of Housing Benefit already. You will remain on Housing Benefit until you have a change in circumstances that requires a new claim for JSA(IB), ESA (IR), Tax credits* or Housing Benefit at another local authority. Some examples are losing a job, becoming sick, becoming fit for work after illness, having a first child, moving into work from unemployment or moving out of the local authority area.

*If you are getting Child Tax Credit becoming entitled to Working Tax Credit does not count as a new claim

Please see our universal credit pages for more details.

If you live outside Oxford but claim Housing Benefit from Oxford City Council because Oxford City Council is your landlord the following towns have moved to the full service of Universal Credit on the following dates:

  • Abingdon - 4 October 2017
  • Didcot - 11 October 2017
  • Bicester - 22 November 2017
  • Kidlington - 17 January 2018

You still need to claim Council Tax Reduction from Oxford City Council. Please complete your application as soon as possible and tell us what your income is whilst you are awaiting a decision on your Universal Credit application.

Housing Benefit

  • You can claim Housing Benefit if you are on a low income and are liable to pay rent for your accommodation 
  • You will need to pay for any part of your rent that is not covered by Housing Benefit

If you have savings over £16,000 you will not usually get Housing Benefit unless you are of Pension Age and receive the Guarantee Credit type of Pension Credit.

Student, Self-employed or From Abroad

If you are a student, self-employed person or a person from abroad there are different rules.