Please note this page is only a quick guide to assist your application for a new licence to drive a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire taxi vehicle. You must refer to the full terms and conditions in the application pack for full details and guidance on all the licensing criteria and conditions that must be met under ‘Fit and Proper’ person with this Authority.
Step 1 - Check the criteria and obtain certificates for courses and tests
Before you submit your application to the Oxford City Council, you must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a UK (EU) DVLA Licence for two years minimum
- Have five (5) years of UK address history. If less, you will need to provide a Certificate of a Good Conduct from your home country
- Have a Right to Work in the UK
You need to have completed the following courses and obtain these Certificates:
- DBS certificate (see Step 2)
- Certificate of English Language Competency (written and spoken). This needs to be Entry Level 2 or above – check if unsure
- Local Knowledge and Safeguarding Course - provided by Oxford City Council, call 01865 252 565 to book the test (£78). This test can be booked and completed at any time before submitting your full online application to the Council
- Safeguarding and Disability Awareness Training - provided by Oxfordshire County Council, to book go to you will find the information under District Council Drivers Section (the £55 fee is paid directly to the County Council)
- Driver Assessment for Taxi and Private Hire Vehicles (practical driving) - Provided by Oxford Direct Services (ODS), Cowley Marsh, to book the assessment call 01865 252944 (£69 fee paid directly to the ODS)
- Medical Certification Report - This Medical form must be completed by your GP / Doctor. ALL questions on the form must be answered and there is usually a fee. A Medical Certificate is valid for 4 months from the issue date until a valid application is submitted to the Council.
Have all the documents listed ready. Take a clear scan or photograph of each document (as instructed) on your device, ready to upload when completing your online application.
Step 2 - DBS Certificate & Online Update Service
To apply online for the enhanced DBS certificate, please visit the Taxi Plus website where you will be able to apply for the DBS online, by creating your own account and making payment.
If you have questions on how to apply or need support whilst completing the application you can contact TaxiPlus directly:
The DBS Certificate will arrive at your home address only. The Council do not get a copy.
Once you have reviewed the DBS Certificate, you need to register here for the online DBS Update Service using your certificate number. You must do this within 30 days of the issued certificate date (printed on your certificate).
You can subscribe for the online DBS Update Service as soon as you submit your online DBS application via TaxiPlus. You will need the DBS application reference number to subscribe, as soon as the Certificate is issued by the DBS, your online subscription will become live.
Upload a clear scan or photograph of your full DBS Certificate (front and back even if it is blank) as part of the online application in Step 4.
Step 3 - Prepare your documents & Online Check / Share Codes
Have all the documents listed ready and take a clear scan or photograph of each document (as instructed) on your device, ready to upload when completing your online application.
- DVLA Driving Licence (front and back)
- Proof of Right to Work in the UK (unrestricted) – usually passport or share code (if applicable)
- Proof of current address (page 17 of the Driver Application Terms and Conditions for more information on what document can be accepted)
- One passport sized/style photograph
When completing the online application, you will be required to provide these on-line check/share codes (get them ready now, to enter onto the online form), before you start, please note:
- Your name must be the one on your passport.
- The name on your driving licence must match your name on your passport. If your names don’t match you must update these documents.
- The address on your driving licence must match the address on your current proof of address document.
The DVLA Check Code
- You must generate an online share code but DO NOT run the check. The check must be done by a Council officer. If you run the check by mistake you will need to generate another online share code.
- View or share your driving licence information - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
The HMRC Tax Check Code
- You must generate an online share code if you have carried a similar licenced activity previously. If not, you will be able to declare that on the online form
- Complete a tax check for a taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
The Right to Work (RTW) Online Share Code
- You must generate an online share code, you do not need the code if you hold a UK and Irish Passports or UK birth certificate
- Prove your right to work to an employer: get a share code - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Step 4 - Submit the online application to the Council
You're ready to submit your online application but you should read steps 5 and 6 before you start.
Once you have successfully submitted your online application, you will receive an automated email response that we have received your application. We will then assess your application. If your application is not complete, we will email you back with the advice on what needs to be corrected or what details or documents you have missed.
If your application is valid, we will move to the next step.
If additional documents are required see Submit additional documents for a current licence application
Step 5 - Payment for your application
Once you have successfully submitted your online application (valid or invalid), you will need to make a payment within 14 days.
You will receive an email with a reference number of your application. You will need to call the Taxi Licensing team to make a payment, over the phone via secure line using your Debit/Credit card. After taking the payment, we will email you the receipt.
If you do not make the payment within 14 days your application will be withdrawn.
Step 6 - Wait for the decision and licence
Once you have submitted the final documents, the final checks will take few days. Please be patient and wait until we contact you.
Once the licence is issued, we will email your paper licence (counterpart) document first.
Your badge will be sent by post and will arrive at your home address later.