Street parties have a long history and are a British tradition.

You will generally need to get a Road Closure Order from us to hold a street party event in a street in Oxford.


In order to promote the city and closer community ties, small street events are exempt from the requirement for public liability insurance only when:

  • the event is not publicised for the general public and therefore will not draw in people from the wider area
  • the event applies to the residents of one or two streets only and not to larger areas of the City. Therefore attendance will generally involve less than 150 people
  • there is no amplified entertainment which may cause nuisance to the wider area
  • there is no alcohol or food being sold
  • the organisers agree to and sign the disclaimer on the application form


The fee for applying for a road closure required to hold a street party is £18. 

Making an application

Download the Street Party Application Form.

Applications must be completed and submitted to the us no later than 6 weeks prior to the date of the event via email to

An application can take up to 3 weeks to be approved and issued. The 3 weeks are from the date the consultation email is sent which you will be copied in to.

Further information on what you must do to temporarily close a road can be found on our Road closures page.

Next steps

Before you apply for your street party you must ensure that all of the other frontagers (both residential and commercial) of the street to be closed, and of any road(s) that directly adjoin the street to be closed, have been individually notified and have no substantial objection.

If your application is granted, you will be sent two documents. One is the Road Closure Order; the other is the Public Notice. You will need to make laminated copies of the Public Notice and display them in the street not less than one week before the date of the road closure and to take them down as soon as possible after the event.

You will need to obtain some 'ROAD CLOSED' signs and perhaps other signage. We may be able to lend these to you or advise where they can be hired from, or they can be bought for about £40 each for future use.

Streets for People - supported by Oxford City Council

Oxford Streets for People is an Oxford Civic Society initiative dedicated to encouraging people to enjoy their street. Visit the Streets for People website to find out more about organising a street party in Oxford.

Contact the Licensing Team

Address: Oxford City Council
Town Hall
St Aldate's

Telephone: 01865 252565

Rate this page