This page details how to apply for a Premises Licence.

How long it takes

In most cases applications will take at least six weeks, but may take up to two months.

Premises Licences become effective on the date requested on your application, or the date granted if this is later.

If the licence provides for the sale of alcohol, your Designated Premises Supervisor will need to have a Personal Licence. This can also take up to two months, or potentially longer if a training course is needed beforehand.

When to apply

You can apply for a new Premises Licence at any time.

You should check carefully the time you will need to put your application together, as you will need to obtain plans of the premises.

Discussing your draft application

We strongly advise you to discuss your draft application with The Police (and other Responsible Authorities to suit your proposals) before sending the final version. Where official objections can be negotiated away, there is much less chance of needing to attend a hearing.

Advertising your application

You need to advertise your application both:

  • once in a local newspaper within 14 days
  • on a poster at the premises for at least 28 days which can be downloaded below

These must conform to the rules in the Licensing Act 2003 Regulations 2005. These can be found in paragraph 25 of Statutory Instrument 2005 no. 42 - Licences and Licensing.

What you need to send to us

Please send the below documents to

  • the completed application form
  • a plan of the premises
  • copy of proof of entitlement to work in the UK - if you applying in person at our offices please bring in original documentation
  • the form of consent from the person you wish to be premises supervisor (if alcohol is to be sold)
  • telephone number so an officer can contact you for payment of the fee by credit/debit card

You can also submit your application online on the GOV.UK website:

Apply for a new premises licence online

What to send to the other Responsible Authorities

Send a copy of everything on the list above to each of the other Responsible Authorities, except the cheque in payment of the fee.

The Responsible Authorities you need to send copies to for a new Premises Licence application are:

  • Thames Valley Police - please email the application to
  • The Planning Authority
  • Environmental Protection
  • Health and Safety (see note below)
  • Fire and Rescue Service
  • Social and Health Care
  • Trading Standards
  • NHS
  • The Home Office

Contact details for all these bodies can be found on our Licensing Contacts page.

Note that City and County Council premises and all educational institutions are dealt with by the Health and Safety Executive rather than us. Please make sure you copy your application to the appropriate authorities in these cases.

Relevant documents

Premises Licence applications

Licence Fees for Premises and Clubs

Contact the Licensing Team

Address: Oxford City Council
Town Hall
St Aldate's

Telephone: 01865 252565