We will record and investigate potential breaches in planning control reported to us.

To make a report we will need you to provide:

  • the address of the property in question
  • details of the building works or change of use
  • the owner or occupier’s name and contact details, if known
  • when the works or change of use occurred
  • the harm that this is causing to you or anybody else
  • any additional information to help us determine if planning permission is needed
  • your preferred solution to the problem
  • your name, address, phone number and email

Report a planning control breach

Investigations we do not pursue

Sometimes we do not proceed with investigations, but we will tell you the reasons why if you provide your contact details. We will also tell you how you can challenge this decision if you disagree.

Examples of where we do not pursue an investigation are:

  • issues outside our control
  • matters for other council services or organisations
  • highway-related concerns, which should be reported to Oxfordshire County Council
  • boundary issues
  • cases we deem frivolous or vexatious
  • developments that do not require planning permission
  • claims without supporting evidence of development

Confidentiality in investigations

All reports and investigations are confidential. We won’t disclose any details that could identify you. While we do investigate anonymous complaints, they are not our top priority.

In cases leading to legal action, you might be asked to voluntarily provide a witness statement.

Contact the Planning Enforcement Team

Address: Oxford City Council
Town Hall
St Aldate's

Telephone: 01865 249811

Rate this page