We will investigate all complaints made to us about unauthorised developments.

After investigating, if we decide that there is a breach of planning control, there are several different options available to us to resolve the matter:

  • negotiate remedial works or alterations to the development
  • invite a retrospective planning application for the works
  • decide that the breach is minor in nature or would be granted planning permission and take no further action
  • take formal enforcement action

Enforcement notices

The most common form of formal enforcement action is an enforcement notice. There is a right to appeal an enforcement notice. The details of how to do this are attached to the notice.

All enforcement notices are public documents and can be viewed online 

View planning enforcement notices

By using the PublicAccess system you agree to the terms and conditions

Other formal action we can take

Other formal enforcement actions include:

  • a breach of Condition Notice (requiring a condition attached to a planning permission to be complied with)
  • a Stop Notice (requiring a use or all building work to stop)
  • an Injunction requiring an owner or occupier of land to stop using the land for certain purposes
  • a prosecution for planning offences which include unauthorised works to protected trees and listed buildings or displaying an advertisement without consent

Contact the Planning Enforcement Team

Address: Oxford City Council
Town Hall
St Aldate's

Telephone: 01865 249811

Rate this page