Recycling work in the city was recently recognised when the City Council brought home an award for Best Team of the Year.
The award was given to the City Council's recycling team by LARAC (the Local Authority Recycling Advisory Committee) whose annual awards showcase the achievements and hard work of local authority recycling staff.
In giving the Best Team award to the City Council, the LARAC judges noted that Oxford:
- had significantly increased the amount of recycled food waste collected
- had achieved a provisional 49.9 per cent recycling rate for 2016/17; that's three percent higher than the previous year
- was the best performing council in 2015/16 compared to similar authorities
- is in the top 25 per cent of best performing UK councils
- had reduced green bin (non recyclable) rubbish by 26.61 kg per household between 2015/16 and 20161/7
- offers a comprehensive kerbside service that includes recycling of food, small electrical items and batteries
- makes sure the scheme is easy to understand through effective communications that include visiting residents and putting on roadshows.
Cllr John Tanner, Board Member for a Clean and Green Oxford, said: "This is terrific and well deserved national recognition for the team. It comes hot on the heels of the award for the Association of Public Service Excellence Best Service Team of the Year to our Streetscene team and is further evidence of the efforts and dedication of City Council staff in making Oxford a top class clean and green city."
For more information visit the LARAC website.