You can report a found needle or sharp by contacting us 24 hours-a-day.
- put yourself or others at risk
- conceal the needle
- detach the needle from the syringe
- attempt to recap the needle
- play with the needle or syringe
- dispose of it in dustbins, drains, toilets or litter bins
If immediate action is necessary:
- find a suitable container to put the needle in (e.g. a drinks can)
- handle the syringe carefully, avoiding the needle
- place the sharp end into the container first
- store the container somewhere safe to await collection
- wash your hands thoroughly afterwards
Oxford City Council's response to needle finds
We prioritise needle collections and respond as quickly as possible.
We are working hard to reduce the risk from discarded needles by undertaking joint projects with other professional groups and increasing the number of public sharps bins available.
There are sharps bins in most of our public toilet facilities.
Needle and syringe finds on private property
For information about our commercial needle and syringe removal service, visit the ODS website.
Contact Direct ServicesAddress: Cowley Marsh Depot