Any work, internal or external, that will affect the special character of a listed building will require our consent.

Find out if your property is listed

You can see if a property is listed by searching the National Heritage List for England.

Find out if you need listed building consent

You will need consent for:

  • demolition of all or part of a listed building (including buildings and structures in the curtilage)
  • alterations (including internal works) that affect the character of the building
  • extensions
  • repairs that involve replacing important parts of the building's fabric, or using different materials (such as replacing a slate roof with tiles)

Apply for listed building consent

The best way to apply for listed building consent is online through the Planning Portal. You can complete the form and attach your documents. There is no fee for this type of application.

Apply for listed building consent on the Planning Portal

You can also download and complete an application form from the Planning Portal and submit it to us. 

As part of your application, you will be expected to show that the proposed work will not cause harm to the special interest of the listed building. This will nearly always involve an analysis of what is special about the building. Submitting this supporting information with your application is essential and will help to ensure that the impact of a proposal can be properly assessed.

Find out what you need to supply with an application using our detailed guidance.

Getting advice

We strongly advise you to enlist the services of a registered architect, chartered building surveyor or a contractor familiar with the conservation of historic buildings and the planning process.

If you think you would benefit from discussing your plans with Conservation Officers before formally submitting your application for listed building consent, you can contact our Pre-application planning advice service. This will allow you to discuss any issues and policies and will let you know why you can't carry out certain changes. You will be charged a fee for this service. If you start works before you have consent you may either need to remove the alterations or face legal action. 

Getting a decision on your application

We will aim to make a decision on your application within 8 weeks of registering it. Usually a decision will be reached before then, but if a decision is not made in time or the application is refused consent, you have the right of appeal to the Secretary of State.

Carrying out works without consent

When a building is listed, it is an offence to carry out work to the building that affect its architectural or historic interest without our approval. You could be liable to prosecution, and be made to put right any changes you have made. The maximum penalty could include imprisonment and unlimited fines.

Contact Design, Heritage & Specialist Services

Address: Town Hall
St Aldate's

Telephone: 01865 249811

Rate this page