Oxford’s unique sector composition and business base is partly defined by its major employers. The 100 largest employers in Oxford account for approximately 66,600 jobs, equivalent to 60.1% of total employment. Of these 100 employers this includes the following:
- BMW (UK) Manufacturing Ltd., manufacturers of the Mini
- Unipart Group of Companies, one of Europe's leading independent logistics, automotive parts and accessories companies.
- University of Oxford, higher education institution whose colleges provide undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral education and a range of business and research support services
- Oxford Brookes University, higher education institution providing undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral education, specialist research and consultancy support to businesses and entrepreneurs
- Newsquest (Oxfordshire) Ltd, local newspaper publisher of the Oxford Mail, Oxford Times and Oxford Star.
- Oxford Bus Company, operator of local Oxford bus services, including the local Park & Ride service, and Oxford Express route to and from London, Heathrow and Gatwick.
- Oxford University Press, a department of the University of Oxford, OUP furthers the University's objective of excellence in research, scholarship, and education by publishing worldwide.
- Oxford University Hospital NHS Trust, Oxford's main provider of healthcare, including healthcare research, teaching and training. In Oxford its hospitals include the John Radcliffe Hospital and the Churchill Hospital.
- Oxfordshire County Council, local authority for Oxfordshire providing transport, education and social services.