Oxford’s unique sector composition and business base is partly defined by its major employers. The 100 largest employers in Oxford account for approximately 66,600 jobs, equivalent to 60.1% of total employment. Of these 100 employers this includes the following:
- BMW (UK) Manufacturing Ltd., manufacturers of the Mini
- Unipart Group of Companies, one of Europe's leading independent logistics, automotive parts and accessories companies.
- University of Oxford, higher education institution whose colleges provide undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral education and a range of business and research support services
- Oxford Brookes University, higher education institution providing undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral education, specialist research and consultancy support to businesses and entrepreneurs
- Newsquest (Oxfordshire) Ltd, local newspaper publisher of the Oxford Mail, Oxford Times and Oxford Star.
- Oxford Bus Company, operator of local Oxford bus services, including the local Park & Ride service, and Oxford Express route to and from London, Heathrow and Gatwick.
- Oxford University Press, a department of the University of Oxford, OUP furthers the University's objective of excellence in research, scholarship, and education by publishing worldwide.
- Oxford Radcliffe Hospital NHS Trust, Oxford's main provider of healthcare, including healthcare research, teaching and training. In Oxford its hospitals include the John Radcliffe Hospital, the Churchill Hospital and the Radcliffe Infirmary.
- Oxfordshire County Council, local authority for Oxfordshire providing transport, education and social services.