Insuring your home

Buildings Insurance

As a Leaseholder under the terms of your lease, we are responsible for insuring the structure of your home but not for your contents.

The Insurance Policy has an excess which you will be responsible for paying in the event of a claim.

If you need to make a claim on the buildings insurance policy we have with Zurich Municipal, please ring them on 0800 026 1841 or email [email protected] and quote the following;

  • Name of Insured: Oxford City Council
  • Policy Number: 10/00640/05500418

Please note:  If your flat is unoccupied the Buildings Policy says that "You should take reasonable precautions to safeguard your home especially when it is Unoccupied.  These should include not only securing doors and windows, but reducing the risk of pipework freezing by either turning off the water system and draining it down, or by maintaining low level heating, particularly overnight."

Home contents insurance 

Insurance cover for your home contents, such as furniture, carpets, personal effects, appliances or decorations, is your responsibility.

You should insure your personal possessions against loss or damage caused by fire, flood, theft, accident. We will not be liable if your possessions are damaged in an accident or stolen in a burglary.

We strongly recommend that you also include third-party cover in case anyone claims against you. If you cause damage to other people’s property – for example, if you leave a tap running and flood your neighbour’s home – this would also be your responsibility.