High hedge disputes

Anti-social behaviour legislation allows us to manage complaints about high hedges between parties. We do this in an adjudication role rather than using mediation or negotiation.

Contacting us about a high hedge should be the last resort when all other options have been exhausted.  

For us to take action the hedge must be adversely affecting your 'reasonable enjoyment' of your property. We will consider all relevant factors in reaching a decision, including the interests and impact on the community at large.

To make a complaint please contact us, or you can use the Planning Advice Duty Service for advice.

More information

High hedge disputes guidance