Apply for a Provisional Statement for Premises

A Provisional Statement is used for premises which are intended to become licensed, but which have not yet been built or converted.

Once a Provisional Statement has been granted (provided the premises are completed in accordance with the Statement), the scope for objections to the subsequent Premises Licence is limited to the differences in the operating schedule.

How long it takes

Applications take at least six weeks to be processed, and may take up to two months.

Discussing your draft application

We strongly advise you to discuss your draft application with the police (and other Responsible Authorities to suit your proposals) before sending the final version. Where official objections can be negotiated away, there is much less chance of needing to attend a hearing.

When to apply

You can apply for a Provisional Statement at any time.

You should check carefully the time you will need to put your application together, as you will need to obtain plans of the premises.

Advertising your application

You need to advertise your application both:

  • in a local newspaper
  • on blue A4 posters at the premises for at least 28 days

What you need to send to us

Make sure you send us the following:

  • the completed application form
  • the plans of the premises
  • proof of entitlement to work in the UK
  • payment of the fee cheque, postal order or credit/debit card

What to send to the police and other Responsible Authorities

Send a copy of the following to the police and each of the other responsible authorities:

  • the completed application form
  • the plans of the premises

The other Responsible Authorities are:

  • Thames Valley Police
  • The Planning Authority
  • Environmental Protection
  • Health and Safety (see note below)
  • Fire and Rescue Service
  • Social and Health Care
  • Trading Standards
  • NHS
  • The Home Office

Contact details for these bodies can be found on our Licensing Contacts page.

Please note that City and County Council premises and all educational institutions are dealt with by the Health and Safety Executive rather than us. Please make sure you copy your application to the appropriate authorities in these cases.

Relevant documents

Applying for a Provisional Statement

Licence Fees for Premises and Clubs