Make a data protection request

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) allows you to find out what information about you is held on computer and in some paper records. This is called the right of subject access and includes facts and opinions expressed about you.

Requests for access to this data can be made in writing to us. To ensure that we get all the information we need, we suggest that you use the form below.

Please be as specific as possible about the information which you want access to. 

Subject Access Request Form

Requests for access to personal data can be submitted in any format, however before we can start processing your request we must have received proof of your identity.

If you wish to submit your request in person:

We require to see the original copies of one form of photographic ID only.

If you wish to submit your request via email or post: 

We require two forms of ID to ensure that we are releasing data to the correct person. We ask that you supply one form of photographic ID to identify yourself and a recent utility bill stating your full name and address.

Forms of photographic ID that we accept include:

  • The pages which identify the individual in their passport.
  • Driving licence.

If you are making a request on the behalf of someone else, you will also need to provide a signed letter of consent from them and proof of their identity. 

Please send requests to or to the following address: 

Data Protection 
Oxford City Council
Town Hall
St Aldate's
Oxford, OX1 1BX
United Kingdom

What action we will take

We will acknowledge your request and set out our deadline for responding, which will be within 30 calendar days of its receipt.

We may also ask you to provide further information or clarification if we require it to process your request, and may contact you again for additional information or clarification if necessary. In these cases, the 30 day deadline will commence from the date when we receive the additional information. 

The data may take the form of photocopies, printouts, transcripts, or a combination of these, depending on what is most appropriate in the circumstances.

If we hold no data about you, you will be informed of this. 


We may withhold disclosure of information we hold about you where the law allows. The main exemptions are where information is held in order to:

  • carry out council duties in relation to public health, social work and education;
  • carry out council regulatory and enforcement functions;
  • prevent or detect crime or apprehend or prosecute offenders;
  • and the disclosure would prejudice that work being done, or harm you.

If information is already published or available elsewhere (for instance in the Electoral Register) then we do not need to repeat it.


If you are unhappy with how we deal with your request, please contact the Data Protection Team in the first instance, to see if your concerns can be resolved informally. This may lead to a quicker resolution than a formal complaint. You can contact them at 

If you remain dissatisfied after contacting the Data Protection Team, you can complain to us under our complaints procedure.

You can also complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at the following address:

Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
United Kingdom

More information is available on the Information Commissioner's Office website.