Landlord Accreditation Scheme Overview
Our Landlord Accreditation Scheme is a voluntary scheme that private residential landlords are encouraged to join. From 15 August 2022, the scheme will no longer be run by Oxford City Council and instead we are partnering with ATLAS (Accreditation & Training for Landlords and Agents Service) which is run by London Borough of Camden on behalf of London authorities and other local authorities in the South-East.
The scheme applies to the private rented sector only and not to Local Authority owned or Housing Association properties where other Service Level Agreements apply.
The scheme comprises an element of self-regulation and accordingly relies on a degree of goodwill and trust on the parts of landlords, tenants and the Local Authority.
Aims of the scheme
The aims of the scheme are to improve the condition and management of the private rented sector in Oxford. We will encourage, acknowledge and actively promote good standards of privately rented accommodation with the aim of assisting landlords and tenants to undertake their respective responsibilities to each other.
Compliance with the scheme will ensure that:
- Landlords, tenants and local residents enjoy the benefits of good property conditions, competent management standards and considerate neighbourly behaviour;
- Misunderstandings and disputes are reduced;
- The Council's Cleaner, Greener agenda will be actively promoted;
- Where problems do occur they are promptly resolved.
It is a requirement of the scheme that:
- you need to be a 'Fit and Proper' person
- the physical condition of all the properties you own or manage meet minimum legal standards, planning, and building control requirements
- your management practices are fair and reasonable and meet the management code of practice requirements
- community relations are maintained, including waste management at the property
- our Cleaner, Greener agenda is complied with
- you have ensured that all properties owned or managed by yourself have achieved the highest EPC ratings possible, within reason, for the property construction type
Other accepted accreditation schemes for landlords
- National Residential Landlords Association - NRLA can provide ongoing advice and support in addition to accreditation
- Guild of Residential Landlords - the Guild can provide ongoing advice and support in addition to accreditation
- DASH (Decent and Safe Homes Scheme) – if you have properties in the Midlands area and are a member of this scheme, then we accept accreditation under this scheme.
- Midlands Accreditation Scheme / Homestamp – if you have properties in the Midlands area and are a member of this scheme, then we accept accreditation under this scheme.
- Accommodation Managed and Controlled by Educational Establishments on the Approved Code of Practice
Agents - managing agents must belong to the following schemes
- Safeagent and in addition, the agency must have one person holding the Level 3 Award in Residential Letting and Property Management
- UKALA and in addition, the agency must have one person holding the Level 3 Award in Residential Letting and Property Management
- National Code of Standards for Larger Developments for University Accommodation NOT managed or controlled by University Establishments
NB: ARLA membership requirements include the Level 3 Award however the Safeagent and UKALA schemes do not include the Level 3 Award as a requirement.
We therefore no longer offer OCLAS membership to agents. Agents accepted as “accredited” under the above schemes are:
- Andrews Letting and Management Ltd (Headington)
- Breckon & Breckon
- Carter Jonas
- Chesterton Yeates
- College & County (all branches)
- Connells / Sequence Group
- Elwood and Co
- Finders Keepers (all branches)
- Hutton Parker
- John D Wood
- Leaders Limited (Headington)
- Lucy Properties
- Martin & Co (Woodins Way, Oxford) (Abingdon & Didcot)
- NMH Residential
- Nicholas Jones Residential
- Oxhold & Bright Properties
- OXON Portfolio Management Limited
- Penny & Sinclair
- Positive Property Management
- Reaston Brown (including trading as Lee and Lindars (Oxford) Ltd)
- Scott Fraser (Leaders Limited Trading as Scott Fraser)
- Specialist Letting
- Taylors Countrywide
- Thomas Merrifield
- Top Lettings
- Wallers Estate Agents
- West - the Property Consultancy
- Willow Properties