Protection from Abuse

Abuse includes all forms of harm and mistreatment  and may consist of a single act or repeated acts. It may include some of the following:

  • Physical: being hit, slapped, shaken, pushed, kicked or burned.
  • Sexual: being forced to take part in any sexual activity without consent (including if the victim is one's partner).
  • Psychological: being shouted at, sworn at, frightened or ignored.
  • Financial: illegal or unauthorised use of a person's property, money, pension or benefit book or other valuables.
  • Neglect: being deprived of food, heat, clothing, comfort or essential medication.
  • Discrimination: being abused due to race, sex, disability, age, illness, religious beliefs or sexual orientation.

The most likely abusers are family members, but could also be friends or a voluntary or paid carer who is supposed to be visiting and helping you or other service users or neighbours.

Reporting a problem

We do understand how difficult it might be for someone to speak about being abused or coming forward to report someone who might be being abused.

We will try and keep your details confidential if you ask them to do so. However, this is not always possible. We may have to pass on your details to other organisations, such as the police, or it may become obvious to others who you are.

Please do not hesitate to speak to someone you can trust, this could include any of the following:

  • Your mobile warden or residential warden
  • Oxford City Council Housing Tenants and leaseholders: 01865 249811

What action we will take

Our actions will depend on the situation.

We will:

  • Listen to what you tell us; if you are in immediate danger or in need of medical attention we will contact the emergency services: 999
  • We will record and report any allegation of abuse to the appropriate authorities, care provider or organisation.

If the abused is unable to make decisions for themselves or other people may be at risk of abuse we will contact:

  • Thames Valley Police: 101
  • Oxfordshire Social & Community Services Access Team: 0845 050 7666 to make an adult protection or safeguarding referral, depending upon the persons circumstances.