Reporting Hate Crime

You can report hate crime by calling the police on 101 or 999 in an emergency or through the Hate Crime Network on 0300 1234 148.

A Hate crime or incident is any incident, which constitutes a criminal offence and is motivated by prejudice. It can take many forms including physical assault, offensive graffiti, verbal abuse, offensive literature, criminal damage and abusive gestures.

Oxford is one of the safest areas in the country with only a small number of hate crimes committed each year. However, when a hate crime does occur, it can have a major impact on the life of the victim and the wider community.

Hate crime can be motivated due to someone's prejudice against another person's:

  • Race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality or national origins
  • Religion
  • Gender or gender identity
  • Sexual orientation
  • Disability

Reporting hate crime  

It is really important to report hate crimes – victims have a right to be protected.

Anyone who is a victim of, or witness to, a hate crime is advised to contact the police (on 999, in an emergency, or 101, in a non emergency, 24 hours a day).

If you would prefer to report a hate crime in confidence via an alternative organisation, please contact the Hate Crime Network. The freephone number for the service is 0300 1234 148.

If you do not want to talk to the police or the Hate Crime Network, you can still report hate crime by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or via the Crimestoppers website. You do not have to give your name and what you say is confidential. It is free to call.

Online Hate Crime

If you see content online such as pictures, videos or even music being used to incite hatred you can report this using an online form to the police.

As with other forms of Hate Crime they can be reported to the police on 999 or 101 or via the Stop Hate Line on 0800 138 1625.

There may be instances when hateful content isn’t necessarily illegal, however you can still take action to see if it can be removed.

To remove online hate content you can:

  • Contact the website administrator. The majority of web sites have a ‘report this page’ option which allows you to make a complaint about the content.
  • If the content remains online you can report the content to the web hosting company. You will first need to find out who hosts the web page and can do so by using the free Who is hosting this website.

Hate Crime awareness

Download Hate Crime Awareness Posters