You can report a found needle or sharp by contacting us 24 hours-a-day.
- put yourself or others at risk
- hide it
- separate the needle from the syringe
- put the cap back on the needle
- play with the needle or syringe
- put in a dustbin, down a drain, down the loo or in a litter bin
If you feel you need to do something yourself then:
- find a suitable container to put it in e.g. drinks can
- take the container to the syringe/needle
- handle the syringe carefully and do not touch the needle
- put the sharp end into the container first
- take it somewhere safe to await collection
- wash your hands thoroughly afterwards
What action we will take
We treat needle collections as a high priority and will be dealt with quickly, usually within 1 hour during office hours, and within 2 hours out of office hours.
We are working hard to reduce the risk from discarded needles by undertaking joint projects with other professional groups and increasing the number of public sharps bins available. There are bins available at:
- Public sharps bins located at Cowley Road Public Conveniences by Manzil Way or Park End Street
- Cubicle sharps bins in Public Toilet Facilities at Gloucester Green, Market Street, Castle Street and The Westgate Centre
Needle and syringe finds on private property
Visit our Oxford Direct Services website for more information about the needle and syringe removal and disposal service and the range of other commercial services available.