The Oxford City FANS scheme is open to Oxford's elite sports people of all ages who currently compete or perform at a national level in any sport recognised by Sport England.
"The Oxford City Council FANS scheme has been granted the London 2012 Inspire Mark which recognises outstanding projects and events helping deliver the Games' lasting legacy. Part of the London 2012 brand family, it is the badge of the wider Inspire programme, which has sport as its heart and London as it's centre, but it's more than London and more than sport. It is for London and the UK, for sport and culture, for education, volunteering and business opportunities."
Information and conditions
To be eligible for the scheme you must be:
- A resident for the majority of the year in the City of Oxford (full time students whose parents/guardians reside in Oxford are eligible) and
- A current member of a national team or squad in a sport recognised by Sport England* and/or
- Currently listed in the top 10 of any national age group ranking in a sport recognised by Sport England*
A list of eligible sports can be found on the Sport England website.
*Supporting evidence or confirmation of a sport person's current involvement at a national level will be required from the appropriate National Governing Body of sport (e.g. a letter from your NGB inviting you to a national/international competition, results, ranking verification).
Accepted athletes will be able to access the six participating leisure centres in the city:
- Barton Leisure Centre
- Ferry Leisure Centre
- Leys Pools and Leisure Centre
- Hinksey Outdoor Pool
- Oxford Ice Rink
- Rose Hill Community Centre Gym
- Each Oxford City FANS scheme member will be entitled to appropriate free use of Oxford City leisure facilities during designated times when the facilities are open, providing there is no disruption to other users and no additional cost incurred by the facilities, i.e. floodlighting. This will be at the discretion of the facilities manager.
- Membership of the Oxford City FANS scheme is renewable every 12 months pending continued sports performance at a national level.
- Each Oxford City FANS scheme member will be issued with a membership card from Fusion, our leisure partner, which must be presented upon each visit.
- Any activity that requires an induction and/or staff time will be payable at the normal rate e.g. fitness classes, personal training.
- In return for the benefits that Oxford City FANS scheme members obtain from the free use of the facilities, a condition of their membership specifies that within reason they will make every effort to attend promotional events as requested by Oxford City Council or Fusion. This may also include assistance in coaching activities (if appropriate).
- Oxford City Council and Fusion are keen to monitor how the scheme benefits its members, how often facilities and services are used, as well as news about members' recent competition, results, national representation and ranking.
- Conditions of hire and conduct appropriate to the facilities must be strictly adhered to; failure to do so may result in the Oxford City FANS scheme membership being withdrawn.
- Please send two passport sized photos and evidence to confirm your involvement in sport at a national level (i.e. a letter from your National Governing Body).
- Successful applicants will be issued with a membership card and confirmation letter.
- The relevant facilities will be informed of any new members to the scheme.
If you have any queries about the Oxford FANS scheme please email us or call 01865 252707.