Please note referrals are taking longer than usual to process. To chase up a referral, please directly contact the leisure centre you referred to (details are available at the bottom of this page).
This scheme is only open to residents with recourse to public funds and those living in Oxford.
Who this scheme is for and what it covers
This scheme provides up to 6 months of free leisure centre membership to anyone living in homeless pathway accommodation within the Oxford City Council area (mostly postcodes OX1 to OX4). It covers access to the leisure centre facilities listed below:
- Barton Leisure Centre
- Ferry Leisure Centre (Summertown)
- Leys Pools and Leisure Centre
- Rose Hill Community Centre Gym*
*Before the first visit clients will need to call the community centre on 01865 749597 in order to get set up on their system.
How to join the scheme
This scheme is open by referral only. Any organisation that works with people living in homeless pathway accommodation can make a referral using our online form. The same form can be used to extend the membership for a further 3 months (note this can only be done once).
Make a referral or extension request
In order to be eligible, your client must be living in homeless pathway accommodation in Oxford. You will be required to complete an evaluation form before joining and towards the end of the initial 3 month membership period (links below).
This scheme is only open to those with recourse to public funds.
- Evaluation 1 (complete this with your client once you've registered them)
- Evaluation 2 (complete this with your client towards the end of their 3 months)
What to expect once your client is registered
Shortly after the referral is made (usually within four weeks) one of the leisure centres will get in touch directly with your client with joining instructions. You client will be invited to book a free induction with a trainer who will be able to show them the basics of using all the equipment in the centre, alongside a tour of the building. Your client will be able to collect tehir membership card from the reception of their preferred leisure centre on their first visit.
When coming in for a gym or swim session, your client will need to book the session online via the Fusion Lifestyle app or leisure centre website (see list of links on the Fusion Lifestyle website).
All changing facilities are open so your client can use the lockers provided and the showers after sessions. Your client will need a padlock for the dry changing room lockers and a £1 coin for the wet changing room, which will be returned to you upon leaving.
Keeping fit after the membership ends
Below are some free and low cost options to consider at the end of your client's membership:
- Renew the membership for an additional 3 months (this can only be done once)
- Renew the membership and pay a discounted rate each month, or access discounted pay as you go prices (do this directly with the leisure centre)
- GO Active has some great free health walks, jogging groups and much more. Find out what's available by visiting GO Active or by emailing Claire Clayson for more info: email@example.com
- GO Active Outdoors helps you make the most of Oxford's parks, green spaces and waterways. Find out about the city's Fit Trails, outdoor gyms and more on the GO Active Outdoors website.
Check your client's referral status
If you'd like to check the referral status of any clients, please contact the leisure centre they were referred to, either by phone on 0344 893 3222 or using the email links below.
General queries about the scheme
If you have any general queries about this scheme (but not to check on referrals) please email James Baughan at Oxford City Council.