Housing Benefit / Council Tax Reduction: Tell us about a change of circumstances affecting your claim

When you made a claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction, you signed a declaration that said that you would let us know in writing about any change of circumstance for you or anyone living with you that could affect your claim. this page explains what you should do if you think there has been a change of circumstance in your home.

What we need to know 

Examples include:

  • If you move home;
  • If someone moves in or out;
  • If your income changes
  • If your rent changes (unless you are a council tenant);
  • If you qualify for another benefit;
  • If you stop getting Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance;
  • If anyone living in your home has a change of circumstance.

This is not a full list. If you are not sure whether to tell us something, just ask us.

We need to know about any change within one calendar month of the change.

Any delay in telling us about a change can lead to an Overpayment or an Underpayment.

When a change is reported we will let you know of any proof/evidence we require from you.

Report a change in your circumstances