There are numerous notable people buried in the cemeteries of Oxford. The list includes the author J.R.R. Tolkein and the philosopher Sir Isaiah Berlin.
Other famous people buried in Oxford include:
- Kenneth Grahame (1859-1932), author of "The Wind in the Willows"
- Sir John Stainer, composer
- Walter Pater (1839-1894), critic, essayist and mentor of Oscar Wilde
- Theophilus Carter, on whom Lewis Carroll is said to have based his character 'The Mad Hatter' in 'Alice in Wonderland'
St John's Chapel
- William Laud, 17th Century Archbishop of Canterbury
Holy Trinity Churchyard, Headington
- CS Lewis, author
See the full list of notable people buried in Oxford.
If you would like to enquire about adding a notable person to the list please email [email protected].