Energy efficiency standards in commercial properties

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) in commercial properties

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is built, sold, or rented. They contain information about the property’s energy use and typical energy costs, and how to reduce these. Visit the GOV.UK EPC pages for more information on EPCs and whether a property needs one or not.

To access an existing EPC or find an EPC assessor, visit the EPC Register website.

Under the Energy Act 2011 and associated regulations non domestic landlords must:

  1. Have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) where required, and provide a copy to leaseholders whenever they lease their properties out (The Energy Performance of Buildings (England and Wales) Regulations 2012) and
  2. Landlords must have at least an E rating on the EPC of all rented buildings as detailed below (Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015):

a) from 1 April 2018, may not grant a lease to new or existing leaseholders if their commercial property has an EPC rating of band F or G 

b) from 1 April 2023, not continue letting a commercial property with an EPC rating of band F or G.


  • An exemption applies which has been registered on the PRS Exemptions Register under MEES


  • Property is not required to have EPC (under The Energy Performance of Buildings (England and Wales) Regulations 2012)

Please note that the government is currently consulting on Commercial Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards with a preferred option of reaching a B in EPCs by 2030.