The benefit cap is a limit on the total amount of benefit that most working age people can get.

The maximum amount of benefit per month you can get is:

  • £1,229.42 per month for single people without children
  • £1,835.00 per month for single parents
  • £1,835.00 per month for couples, whether you have children or not.

The benefit cap includes your housing element of Universal Credit or your housing benefit. If your benefits are more than the benefit cap, your Universal Credit or housing benefit is cut so that your total benefit is not more than the benefit cap amount. 

Who is affected by the benefit cap

Visit the GOV.UK website to find out who will and won't be affected by the cap.

What to do if you are affected by the benefit cap

We strongly advise you contact our  Early Intervention Team  who can offer expert advice to people affected by the benefit cap.

The team will be able to discuss options with you such as:

  • How to find work (including self-employment)
  • How to increase your hours of work (including self-employment)
  • If you or a member of your family are disabled, applying for other benefits which mean that the benefit cap won't affect you
  • Getting help to manage your money so that you can afford to pay your rent from your other income
  • Apply for a discretionary housing payment to help top up your housing benefit or housing element of Universal Credit.

If you are homeless or at risk of being homeless please contact us as soon as possible on 01865 249811. Please see our Housing Advice pages for more information.

You can get more information on the benefit cap on the GOV.UK website.

Contact the Early Intervention Team

Address: Oxford City Council
Town Hall
St Aldate's

Telephone: 01865 252755

Rate this page