Personal licences are designed to ensure that anybody running or managing a business that sells or supplies alcohol will do so professionally.

You will need a Personal Licence:

  • if you are designated as the premises supervisor on a Premises Licence for a premises where alcohol is to be sold (on-sales, off-sales, or restaurant)
  • if you want to sell alcohol under a Premises Licence or authorise others to sell alcohol under a Premises Licence
  • if you want to use more than 5 Temporary Event Notices in each calendar year

You must have passed a relevant personal licence qualification in order to apply.


Your Personal Licence application will cost £37.00. 

Getting a personal licence qualification

You will need to have attended a training course and obtained a licensing qualification in order to apply for a personal licence. 

Visit the GOV.UK website to see accredited personal licence qualification providers.

Apply for a Personal Licence

You must apply for a Personal Licence to the licensing authority for the area in which you live, rather than that in which you work.

We only accept applications from applicants who live in the Oxford City Council area, but may be able to advise you if you live outside the city.

Most applications for Personal Licences will be straightforward to process and some will be done quickly. Personal Licences become effective on the day they are granted.

Since 1 April 2015 there is no longer a requirement to renew a personal licence.

What you need to send us

Download the Personal Licence application documents.

You will need to send us the following by post:

  • completed Personal Licence application form
  • completed Personal Disclosure and Declaration Form
  • two photographs of yourself, one of which must be endorsed
  • copy of your proof of entitlement to work in the UK
  • your basic disclosure certificate - note that the Licensing Act 2003 states that the Disclosure must be issued no earlier than one calendar month before submitting the application to the licensing authority - applicants living in Oxford should apply for their criminal record check via the Disclosure and Barring Service website
  • your licensing qualification
  • payment of £37 - please include a telephone number for an Officer to contact you for a card payment over the phone, please do not send a cheque or postal order

Amending a Personal Licence

Amendments to a Personal Licence can be made via the application form found in the link below sent via email to where an Officer will contact you for the payment of £10.50 by card over the phone.

If you have changed your name please supply a copy of you document proving this e.g. wedding certificate, deed poll.

You will also be required to return your old personal licence and card to the address found on the application form. Your amended licence will be sent out in the first class post.

Download the Personal Licence application documents.

Contact the Licensing Team

Address: Oxford City Council
Town Hall
St Aldate's

Telephone: 01865 252565

Rate this page