Please note that some pools will be temporarily unavailable at certain times due to upgrade works. Learn more about how we're making our leisure centres greener and check for disruptions before visiting the leisure centres.
Free swimming sessions
We offer many free swimming sessions for all children and young people aged 16 and under, and who live in Oxford. These sessions vary throughout the week and to find out when they run, please refer to your local pool's swimming timetable:
- Barton Leisure Centre, Waynflete Road, Barton, Oxford, OX3 8GA
- Ferry Leisure Centre, Diamond Place, Summertown, Oxford, OX2 7DP
- Hinksey Outdoor Pool, Lake Street, Oxford, OX1 4PZ (April until September)
- Leys Pools and Leisure Centre, Blackbird Leys Road, Blackbird Leys, Oxford, OX4 6JL
A free swim card is required for these sessions and to get one, please speak to the reception staff at your local pool. Once signed up, you can use the card at any of the pools above and on any of the advertised free swimming sessions.
Free swimming lessons for 5 to 16 year olds
Please note that most free swimming lessons spaces have been filled. If you apply now, you may have to wait until April 2022.
If you receive benefits and live within Oxford City you can apply for one term of free swimming lessons for your child or children at Barton, Ferry or Leys pools. You will be required to provide proof of eligibility (e.g. a screenshot of your Universal Credit account, or a letter about your benefits, which shows your name and address) after you apply.
How to apply
Apply in two easy steps:
- Complete our application form
- Email us with your eligibility proof (include child's name in subject line and note requirements below)
- Benefit entitlement, which shows your name and address (e.g. Universal Credit screenshot)
- Relationship to child (e.g. letter from school or birth certificate)
- We cannot accept applications via email, only the proof of entitlement
- Please allow up to 4 weeks for applications to be processed
- Don't send emails to check the status of your application, as this delays the process
For any general questions about swimming (including timetables) please contact the pools directly using the links above or call 0344 893 3222 to speak to your local leisure centre.
If you have any questions directly related to the free swimming lessons scheme please email us.