The Early Intervention Team are part of the Homelessness Prevention Team in the Housing Needs Department at Oxford City Council.
The team work with any resident of Oxford City. They work with clients to assess needs due to issues with the affordability of a tenancy, this may be due to rental shortfalls such as the Benefit Cap, Local Housing Allowance or the Bedroom Tax, or due to issues with Universal Credit.
The team offer clients support with resolving these issues, agreeing an action plan, and considering them for an award of Discretionary Housing Payment.
Support can include for example: Referral to employment support agencies, resolving issues with Universal Credit, and referral to debt and benefits advice.
They are also responsible alongside the other homelessness prevention teams for duties placed on local authorities to prevent homelessness in accordance with Housing Act 1996 Part 7 (as amended). The team works with certain clients to ensure that the client receives support to prevent homelessness.
- If you are struggling to pay your rent and bills, and are just a bit confused about what your options are now that your benefits have changed, then we can talk to you about your individual circumstances, assess the situation and see what options may be available to improve your situation, which can include
- look at options for maximising income for example by applying for any other benefits you may be eligible for or help you pay your rent with discretionary housing payments (DHPs)
- provide advice on finding housing that fits your needs through downsizing or mutual exchange
- offer advice and support, including guidance from other advice agencies in the city
- give you advice and support with managing your Universal Credit claim.
If you are homeless or at risk of being homeless please contact us as soon as possible on 01865 249811. Please see to our Housing Advice pages for more information.
If you think you might be affected by benefit changes or are struggling to afford your tenancy, we'd be happy to hear from you. You can find all our contact information at the bottom of this page.
If you are a council tenant and struggling to manage your tenancy, you can also get in touch with our Support and Sustainment team.
Our service to you
Our customer service standards set out what you can expect from us when you ask us for help. You can see our customer service standards by clicking the link below.