Support for those self-isolating

From Monday 14 December there will be a change to the self-isolation rules in England:

  • If you have coronavirus symptoms or have a positive test result, you must stay at home and self-isolate for 10 days from when your symptoms start.
  • If you are asymptomatic and test positive, you should self-isolate for 10 days from point of taking a positive test.
  • If you live in the same household as someone who has tested positive for coronavirus you must isolate for 10 days.
  • If you are returning from a country which is not on the travel corridor list, you should also self-isolate for 10 days.

Failure to comply with the requirements may result in a fine of up to £10,000.

Employers who pressure staff not to self-isolate will also be liable for the fines, which can increase to £10,000 for repeated or the most serious breaches.

Practical help is available to support people through the self-isolation period.

Single point of contact

We have set up a single point of contact for vulnerable people to ask for the extra help they may need as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.

In order to get help for yourself or someone you are concerned about you can either:

Self-isolation financial support

In October the government’s financial support for low income households that cannot work from home comes into effect.

Details on who can claim and how to claim are available on our Test and Trace Support payment page.

Clinically extremely vulnerable people

There is guidance available for those who have been identified as clinically extremely vulnerable.

If you or your child is in this group, you should have received a letter from the government telling you this. You may have been advised to shield in the past.

This guidance applies to clinically extremely vulnerable individuals only. Others living in a household with someone who is clinically extremely vulnerable are not advised to follow this guidance.

The Council has been working proactively throughout previous lockdowns to stay in weekly contact with clinically extremely vulnerable, or shielding residents to make them aware what support is available in Oxford.

Any residents who have been newly identified as vulnerable will be contacted by the Council to ensure they are made aware of the support as Oxford enters Tier 4. 

Any clinically vulnerable resident with specific support needs, or who is unsure of the support available, should contact the Council on 01865 249811.

People who are over-60 and clinically vulnerable

If you are over 60 or clinically vulnerable, you are at moderate risk from coronavirus, you can go out to work (if you cannot work from home) and for things like getting food or exercising. But you should try to stay at home as much as possible.

It's very important you follow the general advice on social distancing. This includes trying to stay at least 2 metres (3 steps) away from anyone you do not live with or anyone not in your support bubble.

If you are clinically extremely vulnerable, or clinically vulnerable and in need of support you can access support from the Council.

Rate this page

Rate as Good Rate as Average Rate as Poor