Food waste is collected every week on your normal bin day. Empty the contents of your smaller caddy into the larger one or red bin. Place your larger caddy out for collection with your other bins/sacks by 7am on the day or after 6pm the night before.
What goes in the food caddy
- Bread and pastries
- Dairy products (e.g. cheese)
- Fish (including bones and scales)
- Fruit and vegetables (including fruit stones)
- Meat and bones (cooked or uncooked)
- Cooking oils and fats (e.g. vegetable oil, olive oil, coconut oil, butter, lard)
- Please collect (cooled) oils and fats in a plastic bottle and place inside your food caddy or red bin
- These can be solid or liquid form
- Tea bags and coffee grounds
- Cooked and raw food
- Compostable cups and packaging (please use green rubbish bin)
- Vegware packaging (please use green rubbish bin)
- Non-food products
Lining the food caddy
Lining your food caddy is optional. Lining the caddy may help to keep it cleaner. You can also rinse it with warm, soapy water, or wash it in a dishwasher up to 60°C.
You can line your caddy with any of the following:
- Plastic carrier bags
- Compostable bags
- Supermarket carrier bags (including bags for life)
- Pedal bin liners (not black bags)
- Other plastic bags (e.g. bread bags and salad bags)
Don’t line your caddy with:
- Black bags
- Crisp packets
- Cloth bags.
We take all of our food waste to an anaerobic digestion plant in Cassington. The plant removes plastic and other materials used to line food caddies. The food waste is then recycled into electricity and fertiliser.
Previously, some of our food went to a composting plant, which didn't have the ability to remove plastic.
Plastic liners can be used in Oxford City, South Oxfordshire, Vale of White Horse and West Oxfordshire only. If you live in Cherwell, please only use compostable liners or newspaper/kitchen roll, as your food is sent to a composting plant which cannot remove plastic.
Some food waste can be used to make compost at home. If you’d like to produce your own compost from your food waste, we offer discounted compost bins.