UK Transition information

UK Transition information for citizens

Do I need to do anything differently when visiting the EU?

Get comprehensive travel insurance for travel to the EU from January 2021 onwards.

Check your passport is valid for travel to the EU from 1 January 2021 and if it’s not, renew your passport to make sure you can travel as planned. Visit the GOV.UK Check a passport for travel website.

If you want to travel to the EU with your pet from January 2021, contact a vet at least four months before you travel.

On 1 January 2021, rules around mobile roaming in the EU will change and your mobile provider may charge you more for calls or data when abroad. Check roaming policies with your mobile provider before travelling to the EU

I’m an EU citizen living in the UK. What do I need to do?

If you are a European Economic Area or Swiss citizen living in the UK you can apply for Settled Status from now until 30 June 2021. The EU Settlement Scheme means you can continue to live and work in the UK. Apply now at the GOV.UK EU Settled Status pages. You can check what you specifically need to do on the GOV.UK Transition pages.

Does this apply to me if I’m living in Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland?

Yes. You can check what you need to do on the GOV.UK Transition pages.

I’m a UK citizen living in the EU. What do I need to do?

Register / apply for residency in the country you currently live in. Make sure your passport is valid when applying for residency in the EU member state where you live. Register for healthcare in the country you currently live in. Exchange your UK driving licence for a local one.

Check what you specifically need to do on the GOV.UK Transition pages and sign up for ‘Living in Guide’ alerts.

I’m a British citizen /Irish citizen - will my Common Travel Area rights continue after the transition period?

The Common Travel Area (CTA) pre-dates the UK and Ireland’s membership of the European Union and will continue after the end of the transition period. The UK Government and the Irish Government are committed to the continuity of the CTA.

Under the CTA British and Irish nationals have a unique status and can enjoy a range of reciprocal rights in each other’s countries. The CTA arrangements allow both British and Irish nationals to travel freely within this special area; this will not change.

Irish citizens in the UK and British citizens in Ireland have the right to work, study, and access social security and public services in each other’s countries. These rights will be maintained under the CTA.

What is the Withdrawal Agreement?

The Withdrawal Agreement sets out the terms of the UK’s withdrawal from the EU and provides for a deal on citizens’ rights. You will be covered by the Withdrawal Agreement if you are a UK national lawfully residing in another EU country by the end of the transition period, on 31 December 2020.

The Withdrawal Agreement secures your rights and allows you to stay in the EU country where you live after 31 January 2020. You will continue to have broadly the same entitlements to work, study and access public services and benefits as before the UK left the EU.

You and your family may need to apply for a residence status to confirm that you were already resident in the EU country you live in before 31 December 2020. You will have until at least 30 June 2021 to do this.