Extra waste is additional recycling or rubbish put out next to or on top of your bins.
What we will collect
- Additional recycling - put extra recycling in a clear bag or cardboard box next to your blue bin or sack.
- Oxford City Council lilac sacks - these are provided to authorised properties - you can put out a maximum of three per collection. More information about sack collections.
- Small electricals and batteries - put these on top of your bin lid. More information about recycling small electricals and about recycling batteries.
What we won't collect
- Any additional rubbish placed by the side or on top of your green wheelie bin.
- Larger items such as fridges, furniture or washing machines for which no collection arrangements (e.g. charity collection or bulky waste collection) have been made. Book a bulky waste collection.
Why we won’t collect extra rubbish
- It interferes with the collection round as it takes crews longer to collect, is less safe to load and costs more.
- It is unsightly and can damage the local environment.
- It has usually not been fully sorted for recycling.
If you regularly put out extra rubbish you can be served with a Fixed Penalty Notice of £60 (reduced to £40 if paid in 10 days). Please don't let it happen to you. If you regularly generate excess rubbish, please contact us on the details below to discuss your needs.
Legal notices may also be issued to clear any extra waste which is judged to be harmful to public health or the look of the area.
If you regularly have more recycling than will fit in your blue bin, you may be entitled to a larger or additional bin. More information about requesting additional bins on our Request a larger or additional bin page.
If you live in a flat or House of Multiple Occupancy (HMO) it is your landlord's responsibility to provide appropriate waste facilities. Ask your landlord to contact us for more information.