Oxford is diverse and strong local economy, contributing approximately £4.7bn to the UK economy, and is a growth hub for the knowledge and high-tech industries located across the county. A few key facts demonstrate Oxford’s economic importance well.
- Oxford is recognised as the most innovative place in the UK, by the Enterprise Research Council.
- Oxford has the second highest concentration of knowledge intensive employment of 326 English authority areas.
- Oxford’s GVA per capita is estimated to be the fifth of any city in the UK.
- Oxford is home to approximately 158,000 residents, 4,600 businesses providing 114,000 jobs.
- 7 million tourists visit the city each year.
- Seven of the ten largest employers in Oxfordshire are based in Oxford.
- There is a high level of in-commuting, with about half of Oxford's workforce living outside its boundary.
Click below to find a more detailed summary of key facts about Oxford’s population, economy and housing.