In Oxford all HMOs must have an HMO licence.
A building converted partially into self-contained flats is a house in multiple occupation if:
- It contains one or more non-self-contained flats: i.e. bedsits or bedrooms sharing basic amenities such as a communal toilet, bathroom or kitchen
- It is occupied by three (3) or more people: adults and children are counted as people
- They form two (2) or more households: a household may be; either a single person, or several members of the same family all related by blood (up to first cousin distance), or marriage (or equivalent co-habiting arrangement)
- It is their only or main residence: includes full-time students and use as a refuge from domestic violence
- The house is used as a home only: i.e. it's a domestic house/flat and not a commercial unit
- Rent is payable: or other consideration, e.g. accommodation provided instead of wages