To make all of the spaces ready for builders and new exhibitions to be installed, the Museum will be unavailable for group visits. The Micro-Museum is open from 10am-5pm Monday to Saturday. This will be a temporary exhibition so you can still find out about the history of Oxford whilst we work on building the new Museum of Oxford. During this time we are unable to accept group bookings in the Micro-Museum but are continuing to offer our workshop in the Town Hall Court Room: Victorian Children on Trial. We are also looking for partner schools to help develop new workshops and group visits in the new museum in 2020. For more information about either of these, please contact: [email protected]
We offer hands-on sessions closely linked to the curriculum and to local schools' needs. For more information about our programme of events and workshops for schools and nursery groups, or to book a visit, please contact us.
Options for School groups
There are two choices open to school groups;
- Gallery-only visit (free, with worksheets to use in the gallery) please note, that from April 28th we will not be offering group visits. Please contact us for more details.
- Workshop (£3 per pupil)
- Please note, that from April 28th we will not be offering group visits. Please contact us for more details.
- Supervised by the group leaders
- Groups need to visit in numbers of 15 or less, each with at least one accompanying adult.
- Visits can be booked for as long as you like, we recommend at least 45 minutes.
- For more information about these visits, please go to our Group Visits Page
- Usually available for groups of up to 35 pupils (however we may be able to accommodate slightly more, depending on the workshop topic) Groups are divided into 2 smaller groups.
- Half in the Heritage Learning Centre with a museum team member and at least one accompanying adult (depending on numbers) Half in the Explore Oxford galleries supervised by accompanying adults (worksheets can be provided for the gallery) Visits are usually for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Workshop topics available are;
- Romans in Oxford
- Stories from the Grave: Anglo-Saxon Oxford
- Medieval Rubbish
- A City At War: Civil War Oxford
- Alice in Wonderland (various themes including geography & mapping, the story behind the story and Victorian childhood)
- Victorian Wash Day Blues
- Dark side of the Victorians: Children on Trial (in the Court Room of the Town Hall)
- We'll Meet Again: World War 2 Oxford
- From Bike to BMW: How a car factory changed a city
- Time Detectives: an investigation in the evidence from Oxford's past