We offer hands-on sessions closely linked to the curriculum and to local schools' needs. For more information about our programme of events and workshops for schools and nursery groups, or to book a visit, please contact us.
Options for School groups
There are two choices open to school groups;
- Gallery-only visit (free, with worksheets to use in the gallery) please note, that from April 28th we will not be offering group visits. Please contact us for more details.
- Workshop (£3 per pupil)
- Please note, that from April 28th we will not be offering group visits. Please contact us for more details.
- Supervised by the group leaders
- Groups need to visit in numbers of 15 or less, each with at least one accompanying adult.
- Visits can be booked for as long as you like, we recommend at least 45 minutes.
- For more information about these visits, please go to our Group Visits Page
- Usually available for groups of up to 35 pupils (however we may be able to accommodate slightly more, depending on the workshop topic) Groups are divided into 2 smaller groups.
- Half in the Heritage Learning Centre with a museum team member and at least one accompanying adult (depending on numbers) Half in the Explore Oxford galleries supervised by accompanying adults (worksheets can be provided for the gallery) Visits are usually for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Workshop topics available are;
- Romans in Oxford
- Stories from the Grave: Anglo-Saxon Oxford
- Medieval Rubbish
- A City At War: Civil War Oxford
- Alice in Wonderland (various themes including geography & mapping, the story behind the story and Victorian childhood)
- Victorian Wash Day Blues
- Dark side of the Victorians: Children on Trial (in the Court Room of the Town Hall)
- We'll Meet Again: World War 2 Oxford
- From Bike to BMW: How a car factory changed a city
- Time Detectives: an investigation in the evidence from Oxford's past