Join the Museum of Oxford as we take you on a tour around Oxford's magnificent Town Hall. This grade II* listed building was and still is the place where all of the big decisions for Oxford are made.
Did you know that our magnificent Main Hall was once a hospital during the First World War?
And that the public library of Oxford used to be housed within the Town Hall until the 1970s?
There is so much more to this magnificent building than the architecture; the stories of the people who have used and enjoyed this Town Hall past and present are unravelled and explored by our guides.
Each tour will take in the:
- Medieval Crypt and city plate - Explore Oxford's Jewish heritage
- The Court Room - Explore the multi-functionality of the Town Hall and its judicial past
- The Council Chamber - Explore where the council still meet to make the big decisions about Oxford
- Turner of Oxford Watercolours - Explore one of Oxford's most prolific painters, a contemporary of the great William Turner
- Civic Plate display - Explore out Great Mace, the largest ceremonial mace in the country and still present at council meetings and the 'beating of the bounds' ceremony
- Explore Oxford! - Explore our fantastic museum galleries, seek out how Oxford developed and some of the people that have shaped its past
Tours usually take place on the second and fourth Saturday of each month. Please visit our What's On page for specific tour dates.
All tours start at 11am unless otherwise stated and last approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour. Please note that the Town Hall is fully accessible apart from the crypt which is only accessed via several stairs.
All rooms visited on tour are subject to availability.
- £4.50 per person (advance booking)
- £5 per person (on the day)
- £4 per concession (Senior citizens, students and young people under the age of 15) advance only
All money made by the tours goes towards the development of the Museum and its services. We are currently in the midst of a big redevelopment so we can show and explain more of Oxford's history. Your patronage is much appreciated!
If you would like to book on to a Town Hall tour please visit out eventbrite page
Group Town Hall Tour includes:
- 1 hour guided tour of the Town Hall to include: Council Chamber, Court Room and Medieval Cellar
- 10% off in the Gift Shop and Town Hall cafe
- Cost £4 per person
We look forward to welcoming your group to the Museum of Oxford and Town Hall and we hope you take advantage of our new tour offers. Please do note that:
- Minimum booking of 10 visitors
- Tours should be booked 5 weeks in advance
- All tours are subject to the availability of guides, rooms in the Town Hall
Please contact us at [email protected] and a member of the Museum Team will get back to you within 5 working days.