How it works
The Blue Bin Recycling League is your big chance to win prizes for yourself and your community just by recycling more and wasting less. The great news is, it couldn't be simpler to take part - all you need to do is pledge to recycle as much as you can!
We've split Oxford into eight areas and every month the area which improves its recycling rate the most will top the league and win! To improve, all you need to do is recycle as much as you can in your blue bin/box/sack and waste less in your green bin/lilac sack.
If your area wins, you and your neighbours will be invited to vote for your favourite local charity or community group to receive a £400 cash boost. Details of the shortlisted local charities and community groups can be found on our prizes page. Please note, good causes that go up for public vote might not be linked to the winning area. Instead we randomly select 3 groups to go up for vote each month to give all groups a fair chance of winning.
And if you've pledged to take part and your area wins you will automatically be entered into a draw to win a prize worth up to £60! Two households will win every month. Everyone who pledges to take part can also claim a free roll of food caddy liners.
Picking our winners
Two winning residents will be randomly selected from the list of households who have pledged. We will visit your property and if you're found to be recycling correctly, you'll then have a choice of prize (see list, below).
Visit our winners page to see photos and videos of all of our current and previous winners.
If you've pledged to take part and your area wins you will automatically be entered into a draw to win a prize of your choice worth up to £60! Some of the exciting prizes up for grabs each month include:
- £60 worth of Oxford Bus Company travel vouchers
- 1 month Fusion Leisure pass
- A year's subscription to our garden waste collection service
- £30 worth of Templars Square shopping vouchers
- A £30 donation to the charity of your choice
- A guided tour for 4 at Oxford Castle Unlocked
- 4 tickets for Odeon George Street
- £35 Boswells gift card
- A picnic cruise for 1 or 1.5 hours punting for up to 6 people with Salter's Steamers
- 2 tickets to any event at O2 Academy Oxford (subject to availability)
- A pair of exhibition tickets to the Ashmolean, plus a cream tea for 2 in their café
- £30 gift voucher for the Oxford Playhouse, plus programme and drink or ice cream
- A full bicycle service or £30 gift voucher for Walton Street Cycles
- A 10x10” or 12x8” custom canvas print from Bounce Design
- £30 gift voucher for The Windmill Shop
Free recycling educational visits and roadshows
As part of the Recycling League, we carry out free educational visits to schools and any community groups in Oxford, in addition to holding recycling information stalls at events across the city. Our visits can combine interactive games, presentations and other activities, tailored to your requirements. If you're interested in a visit or roadshow from our team, please get in touch. You can also find out details of our upcoming roadshows.
Staying up to date with the recycling
We send out occasional email newsletters to update residents with the latest recycling news in Oxford, letting them know about our Recycling League winners and the activities we've been doing. To join our mailing list click here or email us at [email protected].
Terms and conditions
To give all residents and community projects an opportunity to benefit from this scheme no single area can win on consecutive months. If this occurs the area with the next most improved performance will be awarded the prize. No single area will be able to win more than three times within a twelve month period.
For full details, please see our terms and conditions.