Permitted development rights

Permitted development rights allow for some developments to take place without the need for planning permission.

If you want to carry out a development using these rights you will still need to tell us what you intend to do, and let us know when the work is complete.

What development is covered

Permitted development rights include projects such as; 

  • larger single storey rear extensions to residential properties
  • larger extensions to industrial and warehousing premises, shops and offices
  • conversions between office and residential uses
  • more flexible uses of shops, offices, residential institutions and agricultural buildings
  • easier conversion of premises for school uses
  • telecom installations in conservation areas

A full list is available in the summary of changes introduced in 2013 by the government

Permitted Development - Summary of changes (May 2013)

Larger house extensions are subject to more detailed restrictions and a different process. See our larger house extensions page for more details.

Letting us know

If you want to carry any permitted development you will still need to notify us of what you want to do through a prior notification application. Please complete the form below and send it to us. 

Permitted Development - Prior approval form

Once your development is complete, you need to complete a completed works form and send it to us

Permitted Development - Completed works form