The Oxford Station Masterplan has been developed in partnership between Oxford City Council, Oxfordshire County Council and Network Rail and was launched in July 2014.
Oxford Station is a gateway to the city, but is in need of significant upgrading, in terms of operational performance and passenger provision. Plans to redevelop the station have intensified over the past few years, as it has become clear that long-term needs will soon outstrip the station’s capacity.
The masterplan outlines the long-term vision for the station and its surrounding area. The intention is to deliver a new multi-modal interchange station that meets Oxford’s long-term rail needs and is of high quality because it’s an important gateway to the city.
With so many organisations involved it’s important there is coordination. The masterplan ensures proposals compliment each other and contribute to a station the city can be proud of. The masterplan also links to the wider regeneration of the West End particularly Frideswide Square, Oxpens and Westgate Centre.
- New station building with entrances from the east, south and west
- Concourse with retail outlets connecting the east and west entrances
- New rail track, platform and bay platform
- Provision for future rail track on the east
- New canopies for platforms
- New operational buildings
- New multi-modal transport interchange on Becket Street - including new bus station, multi-storey car park, short-term parking, taxi point and disabled parking
- Development opportunities in and around the station entrance - potential for leisure / retail / office / hotel / education / residential uses
- Improved public realm connecting the station to Frideswide Square
- Improved cycle facilities - doubling current capacity to 1,200 spaces
- Botley Road widened under the bridge providing additional carriageway, cycle lane and improvements for pedestrians
- Botley Road lowered, creating headroom under the bridge
- April 2013 to September 2013 - Stakeholder consultation
- 24 July 2014 - Launch of Station Masterplan
- 1 & 2 August 2014 - Station Masterplan exhibition in the Westgate Centre
- Autumn 2015 - Launch of an architectural competition inviting international firms to develop concept designs of a new station, bridge and transport interchange
- December 2015 - Station competition public exhibition - view results of design ideas consultation
- Ongoing - Work is underway to attract public sector funding to deliver the Masterplan