Vehicle licence renewals
Step 1 - Pre-application requirement
Before you submit your vehicle renewal application to the Oxford City Council, you must complete the following:
- Book and complete your vehicle Certificate of Compliance (CoC) Test
The Certificate of Compliance (CoC) for your vehicle must not be completed any earlier than 28 days from the date of your current vehicle licence expiry. You should complete the CoC at least two (2) weeks before the current licence expire, to allow time for the application to be processed. To book your vehicle CoC test, you must call Oxford Direct Services, Cowley Marsh on 01865 335400.
Step 2 - Prepare all the necessary documents
We strongly advise that you submit your vehicle renewal application at least two (2) weeks before the vehicle licence expiry, to avoid any delays in processing. Vehicle Application Forms.
Complete all the required forms and have all the valid documents listed below ready:
- The completed Vehicle Application Form. You must enter your full name (including middle name(s), as it appears on your passport / DVLA. If you have a taxi driver licence with us too, it must be the same name you used on that application).
- The Certificate of Compliance (CoC)
- Certificate of Motor Insurance (must only name drivers who hold a valid licence issued by Oxford City Council)
- V5 Log Book (front page and middle pages)
Exemption Vehicles Only
Exemptions are typically granted to those vehicles that will carry out chauffeur driven account work only. Exemptions are not granted for standard Private Hire work. If you require your vehicle to be exempt from displaying plates please provide the additional documents listed below:
- Exemption request received on company headed paper from the company
- Exemption request from the driver
Temporary Vehicles Only
If your application is for a temporary vehicle application please complete the following:
- Inform the accident driver that they need to provide full accident details and photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provide a letter authorising the driver to use the temporary vehicle (company headed paper), with the application
Step 3 - Submit the application to the Council
Email all the documents listed above (Step 2) to email@example.com
You must attach to the email ALL the Certificates, Forms and Documents listed above to the application email. You can spread the documents over few emails, as long as they are all sent one after the other.
You will receive an automated response that we have received your application. Once you have submitted your application via email we will assess it. If your application is not complete, we will email you back with the advice on what needs to be corrected or what you have missed. If your application is valid, we will move to the next step.
Step 4 - Payment and Booking a vehicle plate appointment
- We will call you to take a payment over the phone via secure line using your Debit/Credit card
- Once the payment has been completed, we will book you an appointment to bring your old vehicle plate back and collect your new vehicle plate. We will also email you with your payment receipt and confirmation of your appointment.
Step 5 - Receiving the Paper Licence
Once the licence is issued, we will email your Paper Licence (counterpart) document.
Please be aware that this is only a ‘Quick Guide’ to assist on how to apply to renew a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Vehicle Licence and you must refer to the full Vehicle Application Terms and Conditions to find full details.